Saturday, November 16, 2013

Post 4

Since I have come up with the idea of levitation, and I know that the technology exists, I thought I would look more into the levels of magnetism. I think this will be very important in making my idea come to live. I would like to take this moment to point out that I am not a scientist. Everything I am writing about I have found through research, so I apologize for any inaccuracies. With that being said, through my research I discovered something called magnetic saturation. Basically a magnetic saturation is where you increase the magnetism of a metal to its full potential. Once it reaches it's peak it will level off, and eventually decline. This applies to my research because using the right kind of metal to create the repulsion force is critical. The larger the saturation, the more force will be created, and the more force created, the greater amount of weight will be able to be levitated. This table shows some of the basic metals and their magnetic saturation.


As the B field increases, which is the magnetic permeability, the H field, or magnetic field, is reached. In this table #1 is sheet steel, and #9 is magnetite. Thus sheet metal has one of the much highest magnetic saturations in the known elements. My next step is to find out what metal has the highest magnetic potential, and if it can safely be used in my ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment