Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Final Post

Hey everyone, this will be my last post for my research into magneticism. However, this will not be the end of my research. I plan on continuing this topic, and maybe even make it part of my thesis for my masters. With that being said, I want to share with you my concept for a levitating lounge chair.


This piece consists of the same basic parts that I showed you in the floating lamp. It has a base module, which would have the permanent magnets, and the carrier, which has the ferromagnetic materials. There are six permanent magnets in the base module, and 6 ferromagnetic rings split up between the three carriers. The ferromagnetic ring would be a mixture of iron and the neodymium. According to my research this would create a very powerful repulsion force. My idea is to have the magnets at different strengths to create the swoop that the lounge chair needs to be comfortable. Connected to the carriers is a rubber substrate/structure. This allows the piece to move with the different levels of magnetism, yet allow it to stay in one piece. Finally on top of the rubber substrate are the upholstered cushions. I have them upholstered in white leather, but that might change as I continue with this project. 

Of course this is completely conceptual, but I think with enough research and trials this could become a real piece of furniture in the future. 




No comments:

Post a Comment