Sunday, November 10, 2013

Post 2

For this post I thought I would discuss what exactly magnets are, and how they work. There are four types of forces in the universe: Electromagnetism, gravity, and strong and weak nuclear forces. Electromagnetism is the result of an interaction between two charged particles. In our case a permanent magnet and a ferromagnetic material. A permanent magnet is an object that creates a constant magnetic field, and a ferromagnetic material is a material, such as iron, that has the capability of attracting to a permanent magnet. Typically we combine these two objects so their north and south poles align, which causes pull force. However, with regards to the lamp and table I posted about the other day. The magnets are aligned so that the same poles are facing each other. Creating a repel force. As I start thinking about how I would apply magnets to furniture, these are the two types of magnetism that I will be dealing with.
I also wanted to share a couple more photos to show how the floating lamp functions. The first picture is of the base module and the carrier, or the magnet disc. The base module is activated by electrical power, and the magnet disc is capable of levitating up to 10kg. The second picture is of the actual lamp and an exploded view of the assembly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment